Table of Contents
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk is one of Turkey most famous and greatest commanders who had a key role in leading the country towards independence.
A lot of people are wondering about Mustafa Kemal Atatürk name, the meaning of it, and how did he acquire it, we will explain this and more in our article.
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk name and surname
The name of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk consists of two parts.
- Name: Mustafa Kemal
- Surname: Atatürk
The name Mustafa means (Cleaned, selected, distinguished) it’s also one of the names of the prophet Mohamed.
The name Kemal means maturity, competence, completeness, the highest value, excellence.
Atatürk name comes as two sections Ata which means father or ancestor and Turk, so it means the father of the Turks.
How did Mustafa Kemal Atatürk acquire his name
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk was born on 1881 as Mustafa, his parents Zübeyde Hanım and Ali Riza named him Mustafa at his birth.
Mustafa was studying with great determination and enthusiasm for his lessons at the Military High School, which he loved to attend.
In this school, he made himself loved by all his teachers. He was especially interested in mathematics, trying to solve problems above grade level. The math teacher, whose name is Mustafa, was close to this gifted student and liked him very much.
One day he said to Mustafa: “Son, your name is Mustafa, mine too… This will not happen like this. There must be a difference, from now on, let your name be Mustafa Kemal.”
Zübeyde Hanım’s son, who entered Thessaloniki Military Middle School under the name Mustafa, will now be referred to as “Mustafa Kemal” when he successfully graduated from this school in 1895.
Due to his great services to the nations, and as a founding father of Turkey, Gazi Mustafa Kemal pasha got is Surname Ataturk from the parliament.
After the adoption of the Surname Law, Gazi Mustafa Kemal Pasha was given the surname “Atatürk” by the Turkish Grand National Assembly on November 24, 1934.
LAW NO 2587
- Accepted Date: 24.11.1934
- Number of R. Newspapers Published: 2865
- Published Code: Order: 3, Volume: 16, Page: 4.
- Article: 1- Our president, Kemal Öz, was given the surname ATATÜRK.
- Article: 2-This Law is valid on the date of its publication.
- Article: 3-This law is executed by the Grand National Assembly.
- 1- The surname ATATÜRK, which was given to the President of the Republic of Turkey named Kemal Öz, by the law dated 24.11.1934 and numbered 2587, is unique to him.
- 2- It cannot be taken and used by putting other words at the beginning and end of ATATÜRK’s name.
- 3- This provision of law begins on 24/11/1934.
- 4- The Deputy Internal Affairs is an official to fulfill this provision of law.